A crash with a tractor-trailer or other large truck is every driver’s worst nightmare. Especially if you are in a smaller vehicle, the result of an accident with an 18-wheeler may be catastrophic. Truck accidents occur all too frequently in Charlotte and the Carolinas. Mecklenburg County is a hub for transportation companies with I-77 and I-85 serving as major trucking routes. When trucks and tractor-trailers operate at high speeds on congested roadways alongside commuters, accidents happen. If you or someone you love has been hurt in a truck accident, you do not have to carry the burden of your injuries alone. Turn to the attorneys at Warren & Kallianos, PLLC who have experience with 18-wheeler accidents in Charlotte.
While you are recovering from your injuries, you may feel worried about paying your medical bills and taking care of your family. You need reliable guidance about your legal options.
The Charlotte truck accident lawyers at Warren & Kallianos have the knowledge and resources to handle complex truck accident claims. With 55 years of combined legal experience, we have earned a reputation for securing large verdicts and truck accident settlements for victims in the Charlotte area and throughout North Carolina and South Carolina. You pay us nothing unless we win your case, so contact us today, or reach us through our website’s online contact form to get started.
How a Charlotte Tractor Trailer Accident Attorney Can Help
When winning means everything, the experience of the lawyers you choose can make all the difference. If you choose Warren & Kallianos, you will be working with truck injury attorneys with a proven record—attorneys who have been recognized by legal publications and their peers for outstanding legal representation.
The ways our law firm can help you pursue an injury claim after a truck accident include:
- Investigating all aspects of the truck accident to determine all parties that should be held liable;
- Identifying all potential insurance policies held by the at-fault parties;
- Communicating with the insurance companies on your behalf;
- Requesting that medical providers postpone any debt collection efforts pending the outcome of your injury claim;
- Keeping track of all filing deadlines and preparing your case for trial;
- Presenting a persuasive case in court if the insurance companies refuse to make reasonable settlement offers;
- Resolving any liens to make sure that you recover as much compensation as possible.
You may be worried about how to afford the services of an experienced injury attorney. At Warren & Kallianos, we charge no legal fee unless we successfully recover compensation for you. If we are successful in obtaining an insurance settlement or a jury award for you, then an agreed-upon percentage of that amount is deducted as our legal fee.
Causes of Truck Accidents
Truck accidents occur for a variety of reasons, but the cases we handle have one thing in common: negligence. In legal terms, a negligent act is any behavior that is careless or reckless and results in injury or damages to another person. Truck drivers must drive safely and stay focused when they are on the road. When they fail to do so, they should be held accountable for their actions. Some of the most common causes of trucking accidents include the following:
- Violation of hours of service regulations, which limit the number of hours a commercial driver can operate a truck without a rest break;
- Inadequate licensing and training of the driver;
- Lack of oversight and supervision of the driver;
- Failure to ensure that cargo is properly loaded and secured; and
- Improper maintenance and repair of the commercial motor vehicle.
All of these issues are preventable. Unfortunately, many trucking companies skip important safety training and vehicle inspections simply to save time or money. Maintaining vehicle maintenance and drivers’ certifications is the responsibility of the trucking company. Those companies that fall short in safety standards or training may be legally liable for accidents that occur. An experienced trucking accident lawyer at Warren & Kallianos can help you hold them accountable.
Types of Compensation Available in Truck Accident Claims
People injured in tractor trailer accidents may be entitled to several types of compensation depending on the type of injuries involved.
The kinds of compensation that you may recover include:
- Medical costs related to the accident:
- Lost earnings from missed work due to injuries in the crash;
- Lost future earnings due to ongoing impairments or inability to return to work;
- Pain and suffering;
- Permanent impairment and/or disfigurement;
- Vehicle repair and replacement, and the cost of a rental car; and
- Punitive damages in exceptional circumstances.
Fatal injuries are a tragic outcome of many truck accidents. In these situations, the immediate family may be entitled to bring a wrongful death action to recover money to pay for funeral and burial costs, medical bills, pain and suffering of the loved one prior to his or her death, lost earnings of the loved one, loss of companionship and other losses.
Truck Accident Cases We’ve Handled
The lawyers at Warren & Kallianos are proud of our strong record of helping people in Charlotte and across the Carolinas. We have obtained more than 75 six-figure and seven-figure verdicts and settlements for people who were hurt by the negligence of others. *While every case has its own set of facts, we are proud of the record of results we have obtained in truck accident cases including:
- $4,500,000 Trucking Accident and Wrongful Death: Settlement for client whose wife and unborn child died when their vehicle was hit head-on by a dump truck that negligently crossed the centerline of the road.
- $2,200,000: Settlement for clients injured in a collision with a dump truck that turned in front of their vehicle. The trucking company was sued for, among other things, negligent hiring and retention of the dump truck driver.
- $1,600,000: Settlement for a client who sustained a severe hip injury in a head-on collision with a tractor-trailer.
- $675,000: Settlement for a client who sustained lower extremity fractures when her legs were run over by the rear wheel of a tractor trailer. The client was riding a motorcycle and laid down her motorcycle to avoid colliding with a tractor-trailer that negligently moved into her lane of travel.
- $525,000: Settlement for a client whose tractor-trailer careened off a bridge after being struck by another vehicle that came into his lane of travel. The client sustained a brain injury and multiple orthopedic injuries.
These are the stories of people who were in difficult situations similar to yours. They did not wake up anticipating an accident would change their lives, but it did.
When accidents occur because of negligence, the injured people should not be the ones forced to pay for their misfortune.
Following an accident, medical bills, insurance costs, and loss of income from the inability to work can start to add up quickly, causing anxiety and stress to build. It is easy to panic and take the first settlement offered to you by the trucking company’s insurance adjuster, but they are probably not giving you what you deserve. A qualified truck accident lawyer can assess your case and fight to ensure that you and your family are getting what you need to remain financially stable and move past this accident.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much compensation could I receive for my case?
Interstate trucking companies and commercial truck drivers are required to carry higher amounts of insurance than automobile owners because of the significant harm large trucks can cause. The settlements may be larger because of the severity of the injuries. A few of the factors that can influence the value of your case are the severity of your injuries, who was at fault, and the amount of insurance available to provide compensation. We can offer an assessment of what your case might be worth after a free review of the details of your accident. If you feel like you have a valid injury claim, do not hesitate to contact our trucking accident lawyers.
Why should I hire a personal injury attorney?
Truck accidents are more complex than wrecks involving two cars. If you have been injured, you should not try to handle the truck accident claims on your own. For most people, it is difficult, time-consuming, and unsuccessful. The trucking company will have lawyers representing the motor carrier and the truck driver. You should have an experienced lawyer fighting for your interests. Our lawyers have the experience and resources to uncover relevant documents, negotiate effectively on your behalf and take your case to trial if necessary. Working with experienced truck accident attorneys increases your chances of obtaining the compensation you need.
Why should I choose Warren & Kallianos?
When you choose Warren & Kallianos, you can be assured that you will work directly with attorneys who have a proven track record of success with truck accident claims. Our attorneys have been recognized as Super Lawyers, Best Lawyers in America, members of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum, and listed among the Top 100 Trial Lawyers. You can trust Chris and Jeff to put in the effort required to help you secure a positive outcome in your truck accident case. We have a history of helping fellow Carolinians who have been injured in accidents, and we want to put our knowledge and experience to work for you.
The Charlotte truck accident lawyers at Warren & Kallianos know the severe damage that a truck or tractor trailer accident can cause. As you struggle to recover from serious injuries, you may be feeling stressed, overwhelmed, and frustrated. That is why we want to assist you. We have handled a large number of commercial motor vehicle cases and want to answer every question and concern you have about your case. If you have a claim, we have the resources and knowledge to fight for maximum compensation. Contact our Charlotte offices by calling (704) 586-9137 for the legal guidance and support you need.
* The verdicts and settlements set forth below were obtained by our law firm from 1992 to the present. In most cases, liability and/or damages were contested, the adverse parties were represented by counsel, and the matters involved complex factual and/or legal issues. All verdicts obtained were collected. These cases are illustrative of the matters handled by our firm and not all case results are provided. The case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case. Please note that prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.